Blood Orange Sherbet

After authoritative use of about half of our blood orange compensation in margaritas, I knew I wanted to something dessert-y with the rest. None of the accepted ambrosia items articulate abundant to me. I wanted something ablaze and refreshing, not abundant and cool sweet. It’s been a while back I accept fabricated sorbet and it turned out to be exactly what I was craving.
INGREDIENTS:

1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
2 cups strained blood orange juice
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons finely−grated blood orange zest
2 tablespoons orange−flavored liqueur or vodka (optional)
3 large egg whites, beaten until stiff

PROCEDURE:

1. Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat until sugar is melted and mixture is clear.
Remove and chill.
2. In a glass bowl, combine chilled sugar syrup, orange juice, lemon juice, zest and liqueur. Mix thoroughly, then fold in the egg whites using an over−and−under motion. Continue folding until no egg white streaks remain in the mixture. Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze until firm, according to manufacturer's instructions.
Makes about 1 1/2 pints.

No comments:

Post a Comment